These dog bones are low fat and low calorie, and they have a pleasant
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 2 tablespoons dry milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry baking yeast
- 2 tablespoons chopped spearmint leaves
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons green or red powdered food coloring or spinach powder (to get the color desired)
- 7/8 cup water
Directions ForWith all of my recipes, you can use a heavy-duty mixer with a dough hook.with a dough hook or a bread machine. I prefer the bread machine, as it’s so much easier. If you use a mixer, simply adjust the directions for making bread with your mixer.
Apple Mint Dog Bones
- Place everything in the bread machine on the dough cycle.
- When the dough is ready, roll it to1/4” thick with a non-stick rolling pin.
- Using a mini bone cookie cutter, cut the dough into mini dog bone shapes.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for about an hour. Check to make sure that they don’t get too brown.
- Turn off the oven and let the mini dog bones dry completely in the oven—This works best overnight.
- If you’d like to dress up your dog bones, why not try a little dog treat icing?
For more great recipes please check out: